Bitch'n Bitumen Chat

Touchscreen unit seems to work but won't record laptimes

RaceChrono TouchScreen GPS Lap Timer Support

Moderators: khobun, Jake

Touchscreen unit seems to work but won't record laptimes

Postby BMWE30 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:21 am

Hi,
First I don;t have a bike I have a BMW E30 I race, so hopefully you guys will feel sympathetic for a car driver. :drunken:

I got a new Racechrono touchscreen GPS unit..
It switched on ok, found satellites fine (using the external GPS QSTARZ unit, set on 1htz).

We created a new session, selected the track (winton), and set it to live timer. The live timer screen appeared, it had 8 satellites or so. I went out and noticed after the first couple of laps that it hadn't started timing. At the end of the session when I came back, we weren't sure what was wrong, as it wouldn't respond and was just locked up,stuck on the live timer screen with all 0 values.
So I switched it off, thinking that re-booting might fix it.

Then it wouldn't switch back on..so after trying the power switch a few times, we tried the reset on the side of the unit, accessed this using the stylus. Couldn't find anything in the manual about how to do this. So we held the reset in for 10 seconds.

Then the unit would switch on again. It seemed to function ok, but even though it would go to the live timer screen, it would not time laps, even after 8 laps with it on that screen (and 8 or so satellites) the display still read 0 for all values.

We tired it for 3 runs creating anew session for 2 , and tried "resuming an existing session for 1 run", with the same result. Then in the afternoon, we noticed that when you toggle the live timer display to the map, it was showing a map of Phillip Island instead of Winton. We tried creating new sessions, and selecting Winton, but every time with the same result.

Do you have any idea of what I should do to fix it? It was brand new out of the box, from a local guy who supplies them for our E30 racing club.

The model is GPS-3.5
It's the 3.5 touchscreen unit
On the device settings the following system specs are listed:
System Ver: 0.7DA.0276
Platform: Samsung S3C2416
HW v2.3
Compiled: Sep 12 2013-12:03:36

Any ideas appreciated

Kind Regards
Glenn
BMWE30
Jedi Youngling

Re: Touchscreen unit seems to work but won't record laptimes

Postby jonnymac » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:00 am

Maybe send Jake an email mate.

Jake@bitchnbitumen.com.au

I'm assuming your guy bought it from him to on sell. Or alternatively ask your guy to replace it.
jonnymac
Jedi Grand Master

Postby BMWE30 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:56 pm

I bought it to use myself. Do you think the unit needs to be replaced?

Glenn
BMWE30
Jedi Youngling

Postby BMWE30 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:15 pm

Also now that I'm home, not at a track, is there anyway I can run some test to confirm it is working before I get to a track, as you'll know much time to muck about on race day or even prac days.

Glenn
BMWE30
Jedi Youngling

Postby BMWE30 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks to Jake for his help sorting this out. His RaceChrono support is tremendous, and he was certainly very keen to help, and he knows exactly what he is doing the RaceChrono system.

Thanks for you help Jake. I'm now all :D with the racechrono

Kind Regards
Glenn Potter
BMW E30 #66
BMWE30
Jedi Youngling

Return to RaceChrono Support