Bitch'n Bitumen Chat

P.I. Monday 7th April

For all track day and racing discussion

Moderators: Tongie_, khobun, Jake

P.I. Monday 7th April

Postby Kitesurfer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:43 pm

Well, it was a pretty good day, all things considered, but I have a question for you faster guys:

I was in the yellow (medium slow) group and was nearer the pointy end (i.e. was lapping some guys, and passing all but a few) so this made me feel pretty good. However, there were some really dangerous riders in our group, one of which was red flagged a few times and just kept on riding. In the end, he ran off the track (no injury) and I didn't see him again until the last session.

Anyway, I found I could never get a full, clean lap without coming up behind road blocks at turn 1 and 4 more often than not, and had to back off or apply brakes to stay safe.

My question: when do you know when you're good enough to go up to the next group (medium fast)? I'm sure I could knock a couple of seconds off my lap times (currently about 2:00) in the faster group.

Opinions?
Kitesurfer
Jedi Grand Master

Re: P.I. Monday 7th April

Postby jonnymac » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:57 pm

Hey Kite,
If your consistently doing 2minutes flat especially through traffic go up to med fast immediately.

You will get a cleaner lap and also have the opportunity to follow guys just a little faster to get better yourself.
You will find the erratic riding in every group unfortunately, I'm usually in the fast group and I find its just a percentage of each group it doesn't matter the speed :lol:

My rough rule of thumb....Feel free to put your 2cents in everyone is........
Fast-1.52 and faster
Med/fast 1.53-2.05
Med 2.06-2.20
Slow 2.20 and slower
That way there is approximately 13/14 seconds variation in each group.

Technically with their new "tracking" they should be able to place you in the right groups.
I'd love to know what their cut off figures for each group are.
jonnymac
Jedi Grand Master

Postby sammy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi Gents.... yea kinda wondering how this is all going to work. Maybe they will suggest times for groups, i know we can't/shouldn't but they also know we do time our selves.
I just ride to the group speed. If i get amongst them i just plod along until clear then off i go again. (remember it aint a race :P )
im interested in what those times may be but your ideas of yours look accurate JonnyMac :D

Getting back to the question...... Kite , easy go up a group, do a green and see what you recon, as Jonny said, the times can vary for different reasons.
Im guessing the new system will see folk getting swapped on the day, as they won't stop them booking as there is only a rough guide as to the group guide lines.
sammy
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Kitesurfer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:24 pm

Thanks for all the input guys: I think I'll definitely try the green group next time. What's the worst that could happen? I could go back to yellow with my tail between my legs :?
Kitesurfer
Jedi Grand Master

Postby sammy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:58 pm

You'll be right ... make sure you post when your going next, off chance you can catch up with BB crew.

good luck with the new group.
sammy
Jedi Grand Master

Postby khobun » Mon May 12, 2014 7:46 pm

Green group is the danger group. Lol. Fast enough but a few that think they are Marquez and will do stupid shit.
Turn one.. Stay hard right, brake late and cut in.. Turn 4.. Dive on the inside, hard on brakes to get around road blocks.. :)
khobun

Return to Track Days & Racing