Bitch'n Bitumen Chat

First track day

For all track day and racing discussion

Moderators: Tongie_, khobun, Jake

First track day

Postby shane » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:21 pm

So I did my first track day at Broadford on the 12th, and now all I want to do is get a track bike and go back ASAP!

I got there as early as possible as I had no idea what to expect, and was really relieved to see how smoothly checking in and scrutineering was. The whole day seemed really well run.

My first few sessions I kept getting stuck behind traffic as I was very nervous about passing, so I didn't bother timing my laps. But by the time the afternoon came I was feeling a whole lot more confident and was ready to see what I could do, so I set up the race chrono app on my phone and went out. I had set myself a goal of getting under 1.20 as I really had no idea what I was going to be like, so I was pretty happy when I got back into pits and saw that I had done a 1.17.

As the afternoon went on more people were leaving the red group to go into faster groups, which meant that it felt like I had the track to myself and I started trying to focus on my lines and braking markers more. The times kept coming down and I finished the day with a 1.13. I even got to chase a GSXR around for a few laps which was a massive rush, and really made me want to get good enough to go racing one day.

I've been thinking almost non stop about how I can improve my times since, and I think my two main areas to focus on are corner entry and body position. So now I just need to sell the road bike and buy a track bike and I'll be back out there again soon.
shane
Jedi Knight

Re: First track day

Postby jonnymac » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:16 pm

Awesome work Shane.
A 1.13 first time at broady is a more than respectable time, you'll be heading towards lap record pace in no time.

You'll find there will be more time to be found all over the track but if your after pointers immediately the two main places you'll find time is turn one and the esses out the back.
The speed you can run through turn one is phenomeneal, its on camber and heading up a hill so the speed washes off all the way up. Turn in and hit the first apex, drift out to mid track and you will wash off speed the whole way. Then come back in and hit that second apex. After you drift out its possible to start to twist the throttle again. Be careful though, lots of high sides happen here.

Any particular corners you want to be talked through? I'm by no means any kind of massive expert but have done a few laps at a reasonable clip. Not fast just reasonable mind you, lots on here faster than me.

Oh and its good to map your progress in lap times as well. You'll be amazed looking back over your progress and headspace.
Write down everything your thinking at the time as its good to be able to analyze it later.

Also get a tracky. You don't want to crash a roadie and the quicker you go the more the likelihood.
jonnymac
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Tongie_ » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:30 pm

Nice job bro, 1:13 is very good, it took me a while to get to the 73's .. Grab a Trackie mate, if you're not to fussy , an early R6 or CBR can be had for 3-4k race ready.
Tongie_

Postby shane » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:43 am

Thanks guys. And thanks for the tips jonnymac. I love turn one and know I have a lot of room to improve there. And I definitely know about being careful with the throttle on the exit, I came very close to my first highside there! Now I just have to wait to get a tracky and get back out and try again.
shane
Jedi Knight

Postby rogase » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:39 am

Turn 1 at Broadford is a hard cnr. If you have to get on the throttle to much before the second apex you can hit it harder. You want to have enough cnr speed so you can wind the throttle on smoothly for the exit to the back straight. As JM mentioned if you are to choppy on the throttle here it can end in tears (as has happened to me :oops: )
rogase
Jedi Grand Master

Postby shane » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:28 pm

By the sound of it, I need to get some balls and increase my corner entry speed a fair bit there.
shane
Jedi Knight

Postby jonnymac » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:59 pm

shane wrote:By the sound of it, I need to get some balls and increase my corner entry speed a fair bit there.

I haven't seen you go through there mate..........But I'd say so :lol:
jonnymac
Jedi Grand Master

Postby khobun » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Great time Shane..

Personally I'd focus on being smooth and gauging your ability on how you compare to others on track. Don't rush it and speak to people on the day, you'll have no dramas finding someone faster than you to impart some words of wisdom..
khobun

Return to Track Days & Racing