Bitch'n Bitumen Chat

New from Melbourne

This is where new members can introduce themselves, and say g'day.

Moderators: Tongie_, khobun, Jake

New from Melbourne

Postby maggsy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:00 pm

Hi all,

Bought myself a new track toy which I'm debuting down at the island on Jan 5 2016. Its an old '06 Gixer 1000. I haven't ridden at the island for ages and am nearly jumping out of my skin watching all my recorded MotoGP and SBK island races. :bounce:

Hoping to find some 'track buddies' who regularly or semi regularly go riding.

This is my first Suzuki, so trying to learn a bit about them. For those of you race or track at Phillip Island, what gearing do you guys run? I'm finding it hard to get that info on google.

Anyone else going to P.I. early Jan?
maggsy
Jedi Youngling

Re: New from Melbourne

Postby jonnymac » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:40 am

Hey mate,

The forums been quiet for a while now, I just log on occasionally.
Happy to help out with any questions you have regarding PI I'm there a fair bit but I won't be there in early January. I'll generally be floating around whether it's meet and greet in the morning or scruteenering and checking wristbands. Just come up and introduce yourself.
I'm hard to miss in green and orange leathers.

Regarding gearing, I can help on a 600 but not a 1000 as I've never ridden one around there in anger.

What group are you going to be riding in?
jonnymac
Jedi Grand Master

Postby maggsy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:31 pm

Hi jonnymac,

thanks for the reply mate, i'll be riding in the m/fast group. Like you I've never ridden a thou around there in anger, only at superbike school. I've booked 4 rides in at the start of next year so if your not there in early Jan no doubt I'll catch up with you at some stage.

I'll have to hit you up for some helpful tips on turn 1 and turn 12. I've raced a 600 around the island and always felt I could make up so much more time on those two corners (not to mention every other corner :wink: ) I'll keep an eye out for your colourful leathers.
Dan
maggsy
Jedi Youngling

Postby jonnymac » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:15 am

Yep definitely should see you then mate.

What kind of times were you doing racing the 600 around there.
Turn 1 is one of those corners you seem to go around and always think there's more time in it! So much room on the exit. Happy to help if I can :D
jonnymac
Jedi Grand Master

Postby maggsy » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:02 pm

I was only riding 1:45's, I wasn't setting the world alight by any stretch.
Yeah, always felt I could get a better drive out of turn 12 for the straight (My top speed out of my old 600 was only 238kph down the straight) and also turn 1.

I guess these lines and riding style may change with the bigger bike.
maggsy
Jedi Youngling

Postby jonnymac » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:41 pm

45s on a 600 around the island should never have an "only" in front of it!!!!!!
My 600 top speed is around 242 admittedly that's with my 100kgs on it though so 238 is ballpark for a 600. Daz from race Centre said it's good for a stock 6 so don't downplay it too much.
Braking markers will change on a thou but corner speeds don't need to change. Most fast guys riding thousands still run high lean angles and corner speed they just lift it up on the fat Part of the tyre quicker on exits.
jonnymac
Jedi Grand Master

Return to New Members