Bitch'n Bitumen Chat

Tyre Guru`s

For all Tyre discussion and comparisons.

Moderators: Tongie_, khobun, Jake

Tyre Guru`s

Postby Plushy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:41 am

Hi Guru`s ,
I took these photos of the Power ones on the 999 after the morning sessions at Broady .

given that the suspension is stock springs with just the sag set . Do the tyres look like they are ok ?

Psi was at 33 front hot and 35 rear hot

any advice or comments ?

cheers James
Plushy
Padawan Learner

Postby jonnymac » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Hey James ,welcome on board mate. Seems like you have a great selection of bikes.
Looking at the photos it's a bit hard to tell but it would appear there's a good drive line on the rear then into the lean part of it.Maybe a bit of cold tearing there as well, do you use warmers?
The front looks pretty good.
If anything when I've run the "ones" I've had 29 psi in the rear hot and 31 psi in the front hot.

I've decided to go to full slicks now, hopefully I enjoy them, I've run a "one" on the front for about ten track days now I've always found it orsum.

Maybe some other boys with more experience than me can shed some more light on it!
jonnymac
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Plushy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi johnnymac ,
No tyre warmers yet just doing two steady laps to get some heat into them then upping the pace . I am tempted to go to slicks but need to get a front stand and warmers first that and faster lap times :)

Heres another photo of the same tyre but on my 99 R1 at P.I in Feb

Can anyone give me some pointers as to reading the tyre ??

thanks again for helping a novice tyre reader .
Plushy
Padawan Learner

Postby highside » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:20 pm

Hey plushy - heres an embedded vid from ASB that might help you.
It generally looks ok to me but I dont have a clue!
http://www.aussiestreetbikes.com/forum/ ... .php?t=366
highside
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Jake » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:53 pm

Hey Plushy, they look fine mate but I'd drop the rear to 33psi hot, same as the front.

IE: set them both at around 29 cold then as soon as you come in check them and set them both at 33. You'll find that the front get's more of a workout that the rear at Broady... Opposite at PI.
Jake
Site Admin

Re: Tyre Guru`s

Postby Jimmiejames » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:05 pm

HEY PLUSHY, REGARDING YOUR TYRE WARE , YOU HAVE A SERIOUS CASE OF WHAT IS CALLED "HOT TEAR"
THIS OCCURS DUE TOO A FEW FACTORS ,THEY ARE WAY TOO MUCH REBOUND DAMPING WITHOUT ENOUGH COMPRESSION DAMPING. AS THE REAR AND FRONT ARE BEING FORCED INTO THE PAVEMENT , DUE TO YOUR REBOUND HYDRAULIC PRESSER IS NOT LETING YOUR SPRING DO ITS JOB OF FOLLOWING THE ROAD ,UP AND DOWN ,POWER ON POWER OFF AND BRAKING. THE FORCES PLACED ON THE WHEELS - TYRES THE CENTRICAL FORCES THE RUBBER TOO MOVE INTO THE CENTRE OF THE TYRE AS I SEE IN YOUR PIC,S. THE RUBBER SHOULD BE MOVING TOO THE OUT SIDE EDGE IF SET UP CORRECTLY. A GENERAL CHECK UP IS TOO START WITH THE REBOUND AND COMP, DAMPING TRY BACKING OF A FEW CLICKS OF REBOUND , CHECK YOUR SPRING RATE, IF ITS TOO STIFF FOR YOUR WIEGHT .I.E A 10kg REAR SPRING MAY BE TOO MUCH IF YOUR LIGHT . LAST IS RUNNING TOO MUCH PSI.. AS I DONT KNOW YOUR SETTINGS I CANT SAY MUCH MORE
BUT TRY LOOKING AT THESE ANGELS. IF U NEED ANY MORE HELP GIVE ME YOUR WIEGHT ,BIKE THE PSI YOU RAN IN THE PICS. AND SPRING RATE. WRITTEN ON SIDE OF REAR . CHECK OWNERS MANUAL FOR FRONT. & TYRE BRAND. CHEERS MATE..... ENJOY.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.72 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
Jimmiejames
Jedi Youngling

Re: Tyre Guru`s

Postby khobun » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:55 pm

Bloody good advice... Nice. :D
khobun

Return to Tyre Talk