Bitch'n Bitumen Chat

Coolant levels and usage

If you have any questions or tips that are mechanical or setup related, post here.

Moderators: Tongie_, khobun, Jake

Coolant levels and usage

Postby khobun » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:30 pm

Went on a fairly big ride yesterday through some back roads and along the GOR, was out for about 4.5 hours with no stops. After cleaning the bike when i got home, i checked oil/coolant levels etc and found that my coolant level had dropped to minimum.

I filled it up no more than 2 months ago with 2 bottles of Bel-Ray. Is this usage normal, no track days have been done and i've prob only done 1600kms rec riding in that time.

should I have it checked at by Yamaha as it's still under new bike warranty or is this normal?

Bike is running at normal temps and all looks well (no leaks etc).
khobun

Postby rogase » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:20 am

Sounds a bit weird. My coolant level never changes and thats track days, riding in traffic in hot weather etc.
rogase
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Tongie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:43 am

Check you cooling system for over pressurising.. Would hate to think you had head gasket problems..two bottles sounds like a lot for a top up.. might be a good idea to diagnois this very soon mate.
Tongie
Jedi Grand Master

Postby khobun » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:04 pm

Booked her in for a check up tomorrow, will see..... :shock:
khobun

Postby khobun » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:22 pm

So far so good, had the boys at PS Geelong check the bike out, was told that after I did the flush, sometimes the bike will spit out what it doesn't need on the next ride. I thought I'd done a great job servicing it. Was told to keep an eye on it and just top it up if it starts to get lower, but, to bring it back if it empties out 'quickly'...

I had a good run wednesday and got the temp up, the coolant levels were fine when the bike cooled down again so hopefully all is sorted. :D
khobun

Return to Mechanical and Setup tips