Bitch'n Bitumen Chat

Did I f@ck the clutch or gearbox?

If you have any questions or tips that are mechanical or setup related, post here.

Moderators: Tongie_, khobun, Jake

Postby Greg O'Hara » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:51 am

It look good mate. Just took me by a little surprise seeing the blue. How is it going anyway. I hope she is still as good as what she was (apart from the no gears).
Pontif
Greg O'Hara
Jedi Grand Master

Postby bobtrx » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:23 pm

Bike is going well , THANKS I've done about 6 - 7 ride days and having a ball Oran park , Winton , PI and Broady . Apart from the gearbox , third gear was flogged out on the shaft , that's what caused the missed down change and broken teeth . Yell out if you get your arse to a track day and I will try to get to it . Sorry to Suzukiguy for side tracking your thread . Have you started the repairs yet
catch ewe later
bobtrx
Jedi Grand Master

Postby suzukiguy_1978 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:19 pm

Hey guys,

Well, here's the story about my bike.

It's currently repaired and running well. I sheered about 4 teeth (and damaged 2 more) from second gear. The teeth circulated through my oil pump.

The quickest and easiest way to repair my bike and get it back on the road was to put a new (well, second hand) motor in it. I found a motor at Metropolitan Motorcycle Spares from a January/1998 TLS with 35000km on the clock (exactly the same as mine).

So how much did it all cost? .... Second hand motor $2000 .... Total parts and labour $1100 .... $3100 all up... and this was at mates rates. I'd hate to think how much it would have cost at a big dealership.

Anyway.... even though it cost me a lot of money, I don't care, my TLS is back on the road and I'm stoked.

Here's a photo of the missing teeth

and here's a photo of my old motor... I plan to rebuild it slowly and keep it as a spare

suzukiguy_1978
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Jake » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:30 pm

Yep... that's buggered :wink:
Jake
Site Admin

Postby bobtrx » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:15 am

good to see it done From looking at the pics my gearbox was a easier job than yours, my cases split top and bottom so I didn't have remove the barrels etc . Enjoy the ride
catch ewe later
bobtrx
Jedi Grand Master

Postby lucifer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:25 pm

me no like kaput gearboxes!
make your own luck :)
lucifer
Jedi Grand Master

Previous

Return to Mechanical and Setup tips