Bitch'n Bitumen Chat

GSX-R750 K9 Fairing Removal

If you have any questions or tips that are mechanical or setup related, post here.

Moderators: Tongie_, khobun, Jake

GSX-R750 K9 Fairing Removal

Postby Kitesurfer » Sun May 17, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi guys, I started to remove the left hand fairing this afternoon in an attempt to begin installation of my Oggy knobs. According to the manual, you can remove each side independently, but maybe it hasn't been properly translated from Japanese :?. I removed all fasteners as instructed, but it seems that the fairing halves are still joined together by two "buttons" at the very bottom.

Q) Is it in fact possible to remove the fairing in two pieces, or must I remove the whole fairing in one go?

I don't want to damage it, and would consider handing the job to a Peter Stevens for them to do at the 1000km service, however I am concerned that it might not be shown the love and attention that I would give it, and it might come back scratched or at least scuffed.

Any tips from you GSX-R owners would be most welcome, as I would prefer to do it myself.

Thanks in advance.
Kitesurfer
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Kitesurfer » Sun May 17, 2009 8:53 pm

Kitesurfer
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Tongie » Mon May 18, 2009 5:27 am

Hi Kitesurfer, your gixxers rear looks reeel nice by the way. Your mute gixxer youtube friend has already released the bottom pins,you can see he just pulls them out. With body panels each will come off separately, tha clips are fiddily and the panels interlock quite tightly, make sure you use the correct size screwdriver on these plastic hold pins.... I would do it my self too mate. good luck :)
Tongie
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Kitesurfer » Mon May 18, 2009 11:28 am

I have removed all the "pop pins" but there appears to be two small "bumps" right at the very leading edge on the bottom. They don't look like normal fasteners. I should try to take a picture of them. It's as if the fairing is joined together right at the very front bottom ("front bottom" :wink: )
Kitesurfer
Jedi Grand Master

Postby MR T » Mon May 18, 2009 4:58 pm

SEEK MECHANICAL ASSISTANCE... FOOL
MR T

Postby Kitesurfer » Mon May 18, 2009 5:14 pm

MR T wrote:SEEK MECHANICAL ASSISTANCE... FOOL

That would be exactly what I am doing here. :?
Kitesurfer
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Tongie » Mon May 18, 2009 8:18 pm

Grab a torch kitesurfer and have a captain hook inside the fairing .. now you have removed the pop pins the panels should just be interlocked together, a bit of light should help .
Tongie
Jedi Grand Master

Return to Mechanical and Setup tips