Bitch'n Bitumen Chat

Bike temperature

If you have any questions or tips that are mechanical or setup related, post here.

Moderators: Tongie_, khobun, Jake

Bike temperature

Postby Jake » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:27 pm

Gday All
Just want a bit of advice. I ride an '05 fireblade and i love the bike, but on warm days it seems to get a bit hot under the collar, Im talking days of 30degrees
Its ok at highway speeds sits on 80 degrees all day long but the minute it gets to traffic lights and built up areas the temperature rises very quickly. the thermo fan cuts in right on cue at 103C but it doesnt cool down much, the temp keeps going up not down, untill the speed gets up again.It gets up to about 110c The bike is serviced regularly and the coolant level is normal. There seems to be room for another thermo fan but doesnt have mountings for it. seems a bit hot to me. has anyone had similar experience is it normal? can a second thermo be fitted easily? i think it would be a definite advantage. Is there anything that can be done to lower temp?

Cheers

Site Admin

Postby Jake » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:32 pm

Hi Mick,

Don't quote me on it but I don't think that temp is too high.
Try this... On a hot day when you get home from a ride leave the bike running on the stand and monitor the temp. If it keeps climbing past 110 and doesn't stabilize, even after the thermo has cut in, you might have a problem. If it does stabilize then you're fine. Most modern bikes are pretty highly strung and do tend to run quite hot, especially in traffic.
If you are really not sure you can always ring your local Honda dealer and ask them.

Hope this helps,
Jake.
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Daniel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:02 pm

my bike sees 107, i thought that may of been a little to hot too, but yeah ive been told its normal :?
Daniel

Re: Bike temperature

Postby Daniel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:05 pm

Jake wrote:Gday All
Is there anything that can be done to lower temp?

Cheers

you might be able to set the thermo to kick in earlier, say at around 90 degrees, might be a thermostat dial or switch or mabe its controlled from the computer? ask honda service technicians..
Daniel

Postby rogase » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:39 am

Mine kicks in at 104 but will climb as high as 108. I saw on Ebay a guy was selling a switch which will by pass the thermostat and run the fan all the time, which he claims will keep the bike closer to 80. You can then switch it off and the fan will cut in as normal. Is was only around $30 and if you do a lot of riding in traffic in summer and are concerned about the temp it might be a goer.
rogase
Jedi Grand Master

Postby RIXR1 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:00 am

My 2002 R1 sits at about 110 degrees in traffic on a hot day too.. it's normal..
RIXR1
Padawan Learner

Postby stickman » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:53 pm

If you do a lot of riding in traffic you could also fit a thermostat that opens sooner to keep the motor cooler. Had to do it to a cage that I had with a highly modified motor. Had a lower temp setting thermostat for summer and a warmer setting for winter.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein
stickman
Jedi Youngling

Postby Bell » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:56 pm

Speaking of temperatures, my air cooled Guzzi doesn't have an engine temp gauge, but his cylinders are really hot next to my legs on hot days in slow traffic. I can only assume he will flash a warning light if he is getting too hot.
How can a novel become a classic?
Bell
Jedi Youngling

Postby Jake » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:59 pm

Think you might have to check your user manual on that one Bell...
Jake
Site Admin

Postby scooter09 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:58 pm

hi mick,
i have an 07 1000 blade with six thousand on the clock and it does exactly the same thing.
nothing to worry about me thinks.
cheers.
scooter09
Jedi Youngling

Postby Bandit12 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:27 pm

I know this is an old thread, but it is one of my favourite subjects, so I have to say something!!!

Modern bikes are an absolute bugger for overheating. While they are only a couple of years old, most people won't have a problem, but the cost of running at near boiling temperature will catch up with them. Why do they do it?

1. Smaller radiator equals less weight. Every litre of fluid is a kilo saved, plus the associated savings in radiator size etc. Less weight is always a goal.
2. Thermo fans kick in at high temperatures. The bikes are designed to move fast, and in terms of power, they would rather a fan didn't kick in and cause even a slight power drain. Every bit counts.

So you end up with a design that is purely in the average 150kph before truly effective at ambient temperatures, which we don't really get on the road. Not much you can do about it, but I have always fitted an override switch on all of my full faired roadbikes (including 06 1000RR and recently even the FZ1) so that you can turn on the fan before it heats up too much, to slow the process down. Make sure that you change your radiator fluid at least yearly, don't take any chances with overheating.
Bandit12
Padawan Learner

Return to Mechanical and Setup tips