Bitch'n Bitumen Chat

Runout on front rotors... AGAIN

If you have any questions or tips that are mechanical or setup related, post here.

Moderators: Tongie_, khobun, Jake

Runout on front rotors... AGAIN

Postby Kitesurfer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi guys,

The front rotors (and pads) on my Duc have been replaced twice under warranty after developing runout after about 8-9,000 km. It's about 8,500km since the last replacement and the symptoms are showing their heads yet again. At some point, they are going to stop copping the thousands of dollars costs and tell me it's a serviceable item, so cough up the dough. Whilst replacing the rotors and pads seemed to fix the problem each time, can anyone think of an explanation as to why it keeps happening in the first place?

The most popular opinion so far has been "brake pads depositing material on the rotors, leading to uneven temperatures and eventually warping". This may have merit, but why does it only happen on this bike, with expensive Brembo components? Why did my riding style never cause it to happen with any other bike I have ever owned?

Opinions please!
Kitesurfer
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Jake » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:34 am

I'd try changing to a different pad, or will that void the warranty?
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Kitesurfer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:59 am

Jake wrote:I'd try changing to a different pad, or will that void the warranty?

Hmmmmm not sure. I imagine whilst it's still under warranty, they importer would prefer it was replaced by standard items, but I will ask the question. I wish they would tell me what it is they think I'm doing wrong, so I could change my behaviour. Otherwise it seems it will just keep on happening! There's got to be a solution, and I hope we find it before warranty expires!

Cheers.
Kitesurfer
Jedi Grand Master

Return to Mechanical and Setup tips