Bitch'n Bitumen Chat

Doctor Glass Race Fairings - Fitting

If you have any questions or tips that are mechanical or setup related, post here.

Moderators: Tongie_, khobun, Jake

Doctor Glass Race Fairings - Fitting

Postby robyzfr1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:16 pm

Hey guys!
Just wondering if anyone has any tips on fitting Doctor Glass Race Faorings to a 2010 R1? Im just about to takle fitting it to my Bike.

Thanks!
I love Adreneline
robyzfr1
Jedi Youngling

Postby khobun » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:19 pm

Ya lucky bugger having the R1 in the first place!

I haven't fitted DG fairings, but have fitted others...Be patient and don't force things into place.

From what I have seen from working with Jake at the expo, the DG fairings are flexible so should fit with fair ease, but I'd wait for the man himself to answer..

Good luck, post up some pics when you're done.
khobun

DG Fairings

Postby robyzfr1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:23 am

Ha ha! Yeah she is a sweet ride. Its the Rossi Replica also! Ive only ridden it once at Mallala, then I had a knee reconstruction the day after! (motox injury) so needless to say now Ive healed Im hanging to get back on the track and getting her ready for Phillip Island later in the year.

Thanks for your advice, & yeah I agree I'll wait for Jake's words of wisdom then have a go.

I certailnly will post some pics up once I have it done and painted. [/img]
I love Adreneline
robyzfr1
Jedi Youngling

Postby Jake » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi Rob,

We've been meaning put together an install guide on the site but just haven't had the time thus far so I'll try to summerize it for you here...

1. It takes us around 3 hours in the shop with all the tools and the know-how so I'd allow yourself 5 hours to finish the job.

2. Fit the fairings before you paint them, then take them off paint and re-fit.

3. Make sure you have the correct tools. A compresser and a die grinder is a very handy tool for cleaning up rough areas and drilling holes etc so if you can get a hold of one of these. Some light sand paper maybe 180 dry for rubbing down moulding seams and some 320 dry for cleaning up edges. Plus all the usual workshop tools are a must.

4 When fitting race farings you need to be patient. Sometimes you'll find bolts marks etc that don't line up and often it's simply a matter of taking a quick breather then getting back into it and you'll find it will be something simple like the fairing not mounted correctly etc. Or sometimes the fairings may have warped a little during shipping, this is not a problem, it's just a matter of bending them back into shape and fitting them to the bike in the correct position. Once the bike has been through a couple of heat cycles the fairings will re-set to that position.

5. You need to keep in mind that race fairings do not fit as well as factory stuff, so you may find areas were there is small inconsistancies but this is quite normal and not usually noticable once the paint and stickers are on. If you check out other race bikes at the track you'll be surprised how good they look from a distance but apon closer inspection the fibre glass fairings do not look as good as factory street fairings.

6. Start with the upper fairing, then lower, tank cover and tail.

7. Use the orginal factory bolts to mount the fairing to the frame of the bike.

8. Riv-nuts are a great thing to use on race fairings if you can afford them (google rivnut). They are like a rivet but with a captive nut inside them and are very handy for fixing lower tails to upper tails and sometimes even frame mounting. It's having these sorts of options available to us in the shop that helps us get the job looking really good.

9. If you need to drill holes in the screen make sure you put tape over the area first (both sides), then use the drill in reverse at a very high speed and don't push too hard our you'll crack the perspex.

Hmmm, I think that's if for now but if anyone has any tips to offer I'd love to hear them.

Good luck!
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Deano » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:17 am

Are they fire Proof?? :D :D :D :D :D
Deano
Jedi Grand Master

Postby jonnymac » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:35 am

Deano wrote:Are they fire Proof?? :D :D :D :D :D

I'll have a set if they are :lol:
jonnymac
Jedi Grand Master

Race Fairings

Postby robyzfr1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:43 pm

Many thanks for the info Jake!
When I fit the first Fairing being the front shell, shall I bolt the top part where the original mirrors were, then go from there as a starting point?

Thanks Again!
Rob C
I love Adreneline
robyzfr1
Jedi Youngling

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Yeah, that's as good a place to start as any, but it pays to make sure all the mount points line up correctly before drilling holes, as sometimes even a slightly bent radiator etc can through things out of wack.
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Jake » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:39 pm

Hey Rob,

In case you haven't seen the post, we've put together a comprehensive Fairing Fitment Guide with pics etc.
Here's the link: http://www.bitchnbitumen.com.au/forum/v ... 1286#11286

Cheers,
Jake.
Jake
Site Admin

Return to Mechanical and Setup tips