Bitch'n Bitumen Chat

setting sag?

If you have any questions or tips that are mechanical or setup related, post here.

Moderators: Tongie_, khobun, Jake

setting sag?

Postby Dyer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:25 pm

what sort of rider sag measurements should i be using as a base line on my 01 r6. suspension is all stock.

35mm rider sag for the rear? what about the front? the bike is used for blasting through the hills and the occasional track day.

cheers :D
Dyer
Jedi Grand Master

Postby khobun » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:40 pm

R6 Suspension – Performance Bike Recommended Settings

Rear

Static Sag
5 mm

Loaded Sag
23 mm

Preload
2nd from maximum

Compression
1.5 turns out

Rebound
13 clicks out

Tyre Pressure
28 psi track. 40 psi road

Front

Preload
4 rings

Sag
24 mm

Compression
6 turns out

Rebound
3 clicks out

Tyre Pressure
30 psi track. 36 psi road

Cable ties are the way to go. No excessively hard braking/stoppies as will give a false reading. I've always got Stu Winton to alter mine at the track (when he's there that is)
khobun

Postby Dyer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm

thanks heaps mate, quick question on the suggested tyre pressures.

tyres are pilot power (single compound ones), are the road pressures listed there a bit on the 'high' side?
Dyer
Jedi Grand Master

Postby khobun » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:12 pm

The tyre pressure guide is for general road use, IE commuting. I wouldn't personally run that pressure on 'spirited' riding, only if I was doing highway km's. My last R1 had the pilots and I constantly changed pressures dependant on what sort of trip I had planned. I got close to 15,000kms on the front which included 2 track days (granted I didn't push overly hard on track as it was a road bike)
khobun

Postby Jake » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:55 pm

If you're cruising the HWY then go 34 34, if you're busting up a hill 30 30.

More brakes run a little less in th front as it will heat up more - more power the rear will hat up more so adjust accordingly.
It depends on the road and the rider.

In a nutshell
- higher pressure = longer tyre life & less grip
- lower pressure = less life & better grip.

I know which I prefer!
Jake
Site Admin

Postby dirtydannyd » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:02 pm

Thanks Jake and sorry to hijack :twisted: Just a question about pressures. I noticed that you run very low pressures for the road. I've noticed that lower pressures (say, around 32-34) makes the bike feel sluggish and with less turn in. With 36-37 the bike feels much more nimble. The pressures I've given are cold pressures. Should I be aiming for a 'hot' road pressure? On the road I usually run 36 front - 36 rear in all conditions.
1999 R6 trackie
2003 TTR250 dirty
dirtydannyd
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Jake » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Yeah, you may feel like you need to push a little more to get the bike to turn in but it's a small price to pay for all the extra grip.

I don't usually check hot pressures when I'm on the road but it's a good idea so that you then have an idea how many psi the tyre is increasing with you riding it and in the conditions you're riding in.

Ideally you want around 33-34 psi front and rear (hot) when the tyre is at temp - meaning when the tyre has reached a temp that has been determined by your riding and the conditions. On the road you may only find a rise of a couple of psi, on the track it may rise 6 psi or more.

Any more than that and you're saving money on tyres but not on hospital bills... you do the math.
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Dyer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:30 pm

i ran 32 in the front and 34 in the rear for a ride on the weekend, i might drop the pressure a bit as i couldnt get confidence in the front end and the rear just slides everywhere. was leaving black lines all the way from when i picked up the gas.
Dyer
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Kitesurfer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:19 am

Dyer wrote:i ran 32 in the front and 34 in the rear for a ride on the weekend, i might drop the pressure a bit as i couldnt get confidence in the front end and the rear just slides everywhere. was leaving black lines all the way from when i picked up the gas.

Next time don't use a bowser anywhere near the diesel - those fat bastard truckies seem to get off on spilling oil on the forecourt :wink:
Kitesurfer
Jedi Grand Master

Postby khobun » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:30 pm

Kitesurfer wrote:
Dyer wrote:i ran 32 in the front and 34 in the rear for a ride on the weekend, i might drop the pressure a bit as i couldnt get confidence in the front end and the rear just slides everywhere. was leaving black lines all the way from when i picked up the gas.

Next time don't use a bowser anywhere near the diesel - those fat bastard truckies seem to get off on spilling oil on the forecourt :wink:

Kinda off topic, but pulled into a car wash yesterday, only bay vacant after a truck had pulled out, the driver stuck his head out with a big smirk. A quick look around and the bay and the water gun were full of grease. Suffice to say I drove on out of there. Nyunt. :evil:
khobun

Return to Mechanical and Setup tips