Bitch'n Bitumen Chat

Battery Charger -ve terminal or chassis?

If you have any questions or tips that are mechanical or setup related, post here.

Moderators: Tongie_, khobun, Jake

Battery Charger -ve terminal or chassis?

Postby Kitesurfer » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi all,

I have always found a good chassis/engine block earth for the -ve and clipped the +ve straight to the battery terminal. Not really sure why - it's just the way I've always done it. I've heard stories like "it prevents power spikes" and "less likely to spark near the battery gases" etc. but no really good reasons so far.

So: if you were to permanently mount a battery charge socket to your bike with the "inlet" under your seat, should both the leads go straight to your battery posts (given they'll be permanently screwed on) or should the earth still be mounted to the chassis somewhere?

Bring on the opinions!

Cheers.
Kitesurfer
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Jake » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:25 pm

Firstly, I'd be concerned about charging a battery that is still connected to the loom, ecu etc.
Trickle charge would be ok I guess, and I'm assuming the kit that you're installing is designed to charge the battery while it is still connected to the loom and not damage ecu etc.

That being said, and for that very reason, I'd be connecting directly to terminals.

My two cents.
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Kitesurfer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm

Yeah, sorry, I should have clarified things a bit: it's for battery "maintenance" i.e. trickle charging and keeping it in tip top shape when it's not getting ridden every day. If it was flat, yes, I would take the battery out to charge it.

Cheers.

PS: the new HEL lines are ace!
Kitesurfer
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Jake » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Nice one, have you tried them at the track yet?
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Kitesurfer » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:47 am

Not yet at the track: only Mountain Highway :wink:

I've been too busy for much more than an hour here and there. But I would like to do some PI track days this season, and maybe even L4 at the Superbike School - you never know - maybe you'll be my coach 8)
Kitesurfer
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Jake » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:09 pm

LOL... maybe.

Make sure you let us know when you're going for a street ride. When the weather is good I'll be up for it!

Cheers,
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Kitesurfer » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:12 pm

Will do. We've had a couple of surprisingly dry days on Mountain Highway lately: last time (couple of weekends back) even the hairpins were bone dry!

Bring it on!
Kitesurfer
Jedi Grand Master

Return to Mechanical and Setup tips