Bitch'n Bitumen Chat

Battery issues

If you have any questions or tips that are mechanical or setup related, post here.

Moderators: Tongie_, khobun, Jake

Battery issues

Postby khobun » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:42 pm

Okay, not just a winter thing as i've had to run-jump the bike at a couple of track days in the past 5 months, sometimes mid way through the day (thanks for the push at Broady earlier this year Jonny!).
So the question is, do i replace or just recharge? I kick her over and give a few post 3k twists for 10mins once a week but had to run-jump it today.
So, replace or recharge and if replace, any particuar brands? I have seen batteries new on aus fleabay for $60. What do you guys think?
khobun

Postby rogase » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:12 pm

When I was Eastern Creek the guy next to me had his battery completely die. Couldn't even push start it. Lucky for him he was able to source a battery and ride on the day. I dont know if he had issues with his alternator as well. Put an $80 Ebay one in a see how it goes...even if it only lasts 12 mths or so you haven't lost much
rogase
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Rick james » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:39 pm

New battery and a trickle charger would be the way to go .
Rick james
Jedi Grand Master

Postby holly » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:56 am

Rick james wrote:New battery and a trickle charger would be the way to go .

+1. had mine on a trickle charger while I was OS for 6 months and it started first time.
holly
Jedi Grand Master

Postby Jake » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:01 pm

OK, so I take the battery is still taking charge, just not holding it? If so, you can buy at trickle charger and run that on it now. If the battery is still charging, just not holding it for very long then it is on it's way out but a trickle charger will keep it charged and get you going on a track day which is all you really need anyway. However, you will get to a point where the loss of charge in the battery will start effecting your ignition system.

If it does get that bad and you're not planning on selling the bike any time soon I'd recommend a quality battery, they last heaps longer so they are worth the $. Dean should be able to tell you the best value for money.
Jake
Site Admin

Postby khobun » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:44 pm

All great points. The interesting thing is that most weeks she kicks over first go. I've decided to grab a new battery and use a trickle charger. There's just something a little risky about run-jump starting your bike by yourself.. I'm sure my neighbours wait with crossed fingers for a funniest home video moment!
khobun

Postby Jake » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:49 pm

khobun wrote:All great points. The interesting thing is that most weeks she kicks over first go. I've decided to grab a new battery and use a trickle charger. There's just something a little risky about run-jump starting your bike by yourself.. I'm sure my neighbours wait with crossed fingers for a funniest home video moment!

Lol... maybe you need a bumb starter like the GP bikes :wink:
Jake
Site Admin

Postby khobun » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:35 am

Jake wrote:
khobun wrote:All great points. The interesting thing is that most weeks she kicks over first go. I've decided to grab a new battery and use a trickle charger. There's just something a little risky about run-jump starting your bike by yourself.. I'm sure my neighbours wait with crossed fingers for a funniest home video moment!

I've seen a guy use one at Broady with an old 250. :D

The name "bumb" just sounds wrong.... :wink:
khobun

Postby Jake » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:55 pm

khobun wrote:
Jake wrote:

I've seen a guy use one at Broady with an old 250. :D

The name "bumb" just sounds wrong.... :wink:

Especially at the start of a big night :wink:
Jake
Site Admin

Postby khobun » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:59 pm

Jake, please remind me not to drink Bourbon with you... ever. :lol:
khobun

Postby Jake » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:52 pm

khobun wrote:Jake, please remind me not to drink Bourbon with you... ever. :lol:

Don't worry mate, it will only take one night and you'll never forget not to again...
Jake
Site Admin

Postby khobun » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:50 pm

Jake wrote:
khobun wrote:Jake, please remind me not to drink Bourbon with you... ever. :lol:

Don't worry mate, it will only take one night and you'll never forget not to again...

Ah mate, the Irish in my blood always sees me through. If I can survive living with my cousins in Ireland for 4 months and never hitting the deck, i'm sure I can handle a night on the breezers with you! :lol:
khobun

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:39 pm

khobun wrote:
Jake wrote:

Ah mate, the Irish in my blood always sees me through. If I can survive living with my cousins in Ireland for 4 months and never hitting the deck, i'm sure I can handle a night on the breezers with you! :lol:

As long as you get past the "bump start" you'll be fine :wink:
Jake
Site Admin

Return to Mechanical and Setup tips