Bitch'n Bitumen Chat

GPS Download to the Tom Tom

Post your topic here for any questions or discussion related to the GPS Downloads page of the Bitch'n Bitumen Website.

Moderator: Jake

GPS Download to the Tom Tom

Postby ducatigirl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:00 am

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get the GPS downloads for the rides posted on the site onto a Tom Tom. From what I can tell they need to be .itn files for the Tom Tom to read it.
Thanks!
ducatigirl
Jedi Youngling

Postby Jake » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:41 am

G’day ducatigirl,

I’ll start by saying that firstly the downloads on the BB site are not maps, they are in fact track files of the routes in the book. That means that when you download them to gps what you will see on the screen is a line also known as a “track line”. This line is the route that you need to follow. The best way to use it is as a reference in case you get lost: ie if you think you are not sure where you are you can look at your gps unit with the “track file” on it and if you find that you have deviated from the line on the screen then you can go back the way you came until your gps shows your position is back on top of the track line.

Ok, know that I’ve explained that you need to know a couple of things.
The first one is that you tomtom gps will already have maps in it, so when you download one of our track files onto it, it will overlay the track line onto the map.
The second thing is that the because we used a garmin gps unit to log all of our rides the track files that are available for download from our site are in only two formats, the first one is Garmin and the second is Oziexplorer which is the gps mapping software we used.
In order for you to upload the track files to your tomtom you’ll need to find a converter that will convert garmin track files to tomtom track files format. If you do a google search you should be able to find something that will do the job I found this http://rjdavies.users.btopenworld.com/h ... erter.html but as I do not have a tomtom to test the converted files on I don't know if it works or not.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers,
Jake.
Jake
Site Admin

GPS for TOMTOM

Postby goldern » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:25 am

I found that the 'Tyre' application is perfect for this. It also interates with the Tom Tom software and its free.

I have completed some NSW files for the Sydney to Brisbane and Brisbane to Byron rides.

I can email if you like or will try to attach in the forum somewhere?

Regards
Doug
goldern
Jedi Youngling

Postby Jake » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Maybe just a link to the app, that way other TomTom users can get the info from the forum.

Cheers,
Jake.
Jake
Site Admin

Return to BB GPS Downloads